How long should your members be able to access protected content?
Can they access all content or only selected pieces of content?
These are two questions you can address in the Access tab when editing a level in WishList Member.
You can set if members can access content assigned to the membership level on an ongoing basis or if you want the access to expire after a set period of time.
There is also a setting that can allow a membership level to access all posts or all pages if you want.
These options can be set up differently for different membership levels which gives you the flexibility to best help your members. One membership level can be configured with one set of options while another membership level can have it’s own options.
The settings are available in the Setup > Levels > *Click to edit Level* > Access section in WishList Member. The screenshot example below shows a level named Silver.
The Access tab has two main options. The Expiration Options and Access To.
You can set if / when access to the membership level will expire. Ongoing is the default option and we will explain all three below.
There are three Expiration Options:
- Ongoing. Provides continued access to the level with no set expiration. A member’s access to the level will remain active unless cancelled by the site admin or if an integrated payment with a payment provider fails to process successfully.
- Fixed Term. Provides access to the level until the set fixed term of expiration. A fixed term is scheduled to automatically expire after a certain amount of time. The schedule to expire is based on a specified number of days, weeks, months or years.
- Specific Date. Provides access to the level until the set specific date of expiration. A specific date is set. The schedule to expire is based on the specified date. A date is selected using the calendar and all members in the level expire on the set date.
Enabling any of the Access To options will provide access to all protected content for any member in this level. The Access To setting is useful when you want to provide a level with access to all the protected content on a site.
The Access To options do not apply to unprotected content. All members and non-members already have access to all unprotected content.
There are four Access To Options:
- All Posts. If enabled, the membership level will have access to ALL posts in your membership site regardless of the individual post access settings.
- All Pages. If enabled, the membership level will have access to ALL pages in your membership site regardless of the individual page access settings.
- All Comments. If enabled, the membership level will have access to ALL comments in your membership site regardless of the individual comments access settings.
- All Categories. If enabled, the membership level will have access to ALL categories in your membership site regardless of the individual category access settings.
Note: The Access To settings are entirely optional and in most cases will be disabled. These are typically only enabled for a membership level that has “ultimate” or “superuser” access to everything. For example, a Platinum level or an internal team level.
In most cases, you will set access options on an individual post / page / comment / category basis using the available access and protection settings.
As an example, the screenshot below shows All Pages enabled under Access To. This means any member with the Silver level can access ALL pages on the site.
You will notice the Access area in the Protection and Access section when editing a page states:
Level with access to all pages: Silver
So any member with the Silver level can access any protected page on the site.